How should I take CREON?
CREON should be taken with every meal and snack
CREON should be taken every time you eat to replace the enzymes your pancreas isn't making if you have EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency). CREON only works when taken with food.
Key points to remember when taking CREON:
- Swallow CREON capsules whole
Swallow CREON capsules whole, and take them with enough liquid to swallow them completely. If you have trouble swallowing capsules, open the capsules and sprinkle the contents on a small amount of room-temperature, acidic food, such as applesauce. Drink enough liquid to make sure the medicine is swallowed completely. Ask your doctor about other foods you can mix with CREON.
- Do not crush or chew CREON
Swallow CREON whole. Crushing, chewing, or holding the CREON capsules in your mouth may irritate your mouth or change the way CREON works in your body.
- Do not store food mixed with CREON
If you sprinkle CREON on food, swallow it right after you mix it. Do not store CREON that has been mixed with food.
- Do not make up for missed doses
If you forget to take your dose of CREON, call your doctor or wait until your next meal or snack and take your usual number of capsules. Take your next dose at your usual time. Do not make up for missed doses.
CREON may increase your chance of fibrosing colonopathy, a rare bowel disorder. Tell your doctor if you have a history of intestinal blockage or scarring or thickening of your bowel wall; if you are allergic to pork; or if you have gout, kidney problems, or worsening of painful, swollen joints. Call your doctor if you have any unusual or severe gastrointestinal symptoms or allergic reactions. Take CREON as directed by your doctor and always with food. Do not chew capsules as this may cause mouth irritation. Other side effects may include blood sugar changes, gas, dizziness, sore throat, and cough. These are not all the side effects of CREON.
Keep a record of your symptoms after you begin CREON treatment
While you’re taking CREON, keep track of any symptoms you’re experiencing with the
, and share this information with your doctor at your next appointment. It will help your doctor determine if your dose needs to be adjusted.
Answers to frequently asked questions
CREON needs to be taken with every meal and snack to work as expected. The digestive enzymes in CREON need to mix with food and enter the stomach and the small intestine at the same time.
Take CREON exactly as your doctor tells you.
- You should not switch CREON with any other pancreatic enzyme product without first talking to your doctor.
- Do not take more capsules in a day than the number your doctor tells you to take (total daily dose).
- Your doctor may change your dose based on the amount of fatty foods you eat or based on your weight.
- Store CREON at room temperature, 59°F to 77°F (15°C to 25°C). Avoid heat.
- You may store CREON at a temperature between 77°F and 104°F (25°C to 40°C) for up to 30 days. Throw away any CREON that has been stored at these temperatures for more than 30 days.
- Keep CREON in a dry place and in the original container.
- After you open the bottle, keep it closed tightly between uses to protect against moisture.
- Keep CREON out of the reach of children.